Saturday, October 5, 2019

Pastoral Prayer for 10/6/2019 based on Psalm 27, Isaiah 60, 1 Timothy 6:11-21–21, John 1:4–9, and BCP1979


The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?
Psa. 27:2    When evildoers assail me
to eat up my flesh,
my adversaries and foes,
it is they who stumble and fall.
Psa. 27:3    Though an army encamp against me,
my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
yet I will be confident.
O God, there are many things around things around us that lead us to panic. We need you to steady us. We know that with you we will stand, that though many things rise against us, we can be confident with you. We lift up many worries to you now. (Silence)
We thank you Lord that we trust you in all these things.
One thing have I asked of the LORD,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to inquire in his temple.
Psa. 27:5    For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
he will lift me high upon a rock.
Psa. 27:6    And now my head shall be lifted up
above my enemies all around me,
and I will offer in his tent
sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make melody to the LORD.
Psa. 27:7    Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud;
be gracious to me and answer me!
8 You have said, “Seek my face.”
My heart says to you,
“Your face, LORD, do I seek.”
9 Hide not your face from me.
Turn not your servant away in anger,
O you who have been my help.
Cast me not off; forsake me not,
O God of my salvation!
Teach me your way, O LORD,
and lead me on a level path
Lord, shine your light on injustice in this world. We pray especially for those children and now adults that have bene abused by various sexual scandals in your church. What an abomination that clergy would use children, would use anyone, would abuse your image, in such an intimate way. O God, have mercy and bring justice.
Despite the evils that those in your church have done, lift up your Church, use your church, that your name may be made known to all. Draw many to worship the name of the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, because you, Lord, are beautiful, despite the terrible blemishes of your bride, the Church. Thank you, Lord, that our blessings do not depend so much on what we have done, but on who you are making us. Someday, by your grace, Your people shall all be righteous;
they shall possess the land forever,
the branch of YOUR planting, the work of YOUR hands,
that YOU might be glorified.
Help us, Holy Spirit, Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness, Fight the good fight of the faith, Taking hold of the eternal life to which you have called us, As for the rich in this present age, help them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
Here in Edmond we live amongst the very wealthy. Jesus you have said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God. Show us how we can lead people to you, O Lord, for with God all things are possible. How can we reach Edmond? 
Also, bless the wealthy of this congregation and all wealthy Christians that they may always be more secure in Jesus than in their money, and that they be more rich in giving away and in good works than in their money or assets. For the good of their souls and love for them, we ask you to keep the wealthy always humble.
Lord you send many to bear witness about the light, you call evangelists and church planters and all of us to make Jesus known. Help them all bear witness to your light. We especially pray for hospice chaplains and prison chaplains and military chaplains as they share the gospel in hard places. Encouragement them when they wonder if anyone hears them. Grow church plants all over the world, that your Kingdom may grow. Here in Oklahoma grow New City Tulsa and the church planters Caleb Long and Montre Brooks, Hope Bartlesville and the planter Peter Johnson, Shawnee Pres and planter Matt Wiley, and the new church plant that Casey Shutt it about to start right here in Oklahoma City. Grow these churches and let us plant more. Help us, give us resources and planters to plant more and more churches throughout Oklahoma and the world.
Almighty and everlasting God, you are always more ready to hear than we to pray, and to give more than we either desire or deserve: Pour upon us the abundance of your mercy, forgiving us those things of which our conscience is afraid, and giving us those good things for which we are not worthy to ask, except through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ our Savior; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment